How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Get You Maximum Compensation
Even if you are a vigilant and careful driver, you can get into an accident. The scary thing about car accidents is that people can emerge unscathed and with little vehicular damage, or they can suffer injuries that will affect them for the rest of their lives.
When you get into a car crash, you may feel overwhelmed or experience brain fog. However, it’s important that you follow these steps:
- Check yourself and other passengers for injuries.
- Call 911. The dispatcher will send law enforcement officers and medical personnel to the scene.
- Move the vehicles from the scene to prevent another vehicle from colliding with the stopped cars.
- Get the other driver’s contact and insurance information.
- Call a personal injury lawyer to start a claim for compensation.
The ray of hope in all this is that you can hire a car crash lawyer in Long Beach to fight for compensation for your damages.
What Are Damages?
Damages are what you have lost or suffered as a result of the accident. Damages can be economic or non-economic. Common damages claimed in car accidents are:
- Property damage: This is typical for car accidents since the impact from two two-ton machines can be heavy. Most often property damages claimed by car accident victims is damage to their vehicle, but it can also be damage to objects that were inside the vehicle that were damaged from the impact.
- Bodily injuries: Common injuries that result from car crashes are whiplash, spinal cord injuries, internal bleeding, broken bones, and even traumatic brain injuries. Your medical bills will be a testament to your bodily injuries.
- Emotional trauma: Many car accident victims suffer from PTSD after their accident. In addition to PTSD, you can claim loss of enjoyment, depression, and anxiety.
- Lost wages: If you work as a waiter, nurse, or construction worker, you won’t be able to work while you recover from your injuries. Because of this, the at-fault driver will be liable for any wages you cannot make while you recover.
- Loss of future income: If your injuries are permanent, you won’t be able to continue working. Your attorney can hire an expert to add up the money you won’t be making in the future.
Statute of Limitations
You don’t have forever to contact an accident injury attorney in Long Beach and file your claim. If your car was the only thing damaged in the accident, you have three years from the date of the crash to sue for property damage. When you suffer bodily harm or emotional trauma, the statute of limitations is two years after the date of the accident.
Contacting an Attorney
When you are injured in a car wreck, you want to hire an attorney that will work tirelessly to give you the maximum settlement possible. Our law firm will hire expert witnesses that can testify to your damages and put more fault on the other driver. Call Accident Lawyers Firm at (949) 203-5780 for a free consultation!