You take your personal safety seriously. You never take unnecessary risks. However, this is not enough to prevent an accident. The carelessness and inattention of another can lead to an accident that causes you injury. If you have been injured, you can claim damages from the person responsible. Personal injury law is a category of tort law which guarantees a right of compensation when a person infringes another person’s legally protected interests.
The Most Common Kinds of Personal Injury Cases
You never know when your health and safety will be jeopardized. On the road, in a restaurant, or in a hotel room, there is always danger of an accident. This is especially the case when people are negligent and reckless.
Here are some of the most common kinds of personal injury cases:
1. Vehicle accidents Unfortunately, it is not enough to be a safe driver. You must contend with the fact that many other drivers are not. Accidents involving vehicles usually owe to someone not following traffic rules or not paying attention to what is happening around them. There are also cases in which municipal authorities have failed to maintain the road. And you should keep in mind that you do have the right to sue the city if you have been injured in an accident caused by incompetence, mismanagement, or neglect on their part.
2. Slip and fall accidents These types of accidents tend to occur in public venues. If a section of a restaurant floor has been mopped, it should be sealed off from traffic or a warning should be posted. The same goes for hotels and office buildings. You should be warned of slippery surfaces and broken stairs or banisters.
3. Medical malpractice You trust your doctor to give you sound medical advice and to have the knowledge and skill required to treat your illness. If you are put under the care of a physician who is incompetent, lazy, or inattentive, it can put your health at risk. If you have been the victim of a surgical error or diagnostic error or you have been given the wrong prescription, then you can hold your physician accountable.
4. Wrongful death The death of a loved one is a terrible thing. If the death was preventable, then you can as a surviving spouse or family member claim damages for wrongful death.
5. Defective Products Manufacturers must ensure that the products they sell to the public are safe. They must also ensure that consumers have access to the information they need to use products correctly. Failure on the part of manufacturers on either front makes them liable for injuries sustained in the use of their products.
6. Animal attacks You have the right to walk in your neighborhood and enjoy yourself in public parks without the threat of an animal attack. People who own pets are obligated to control them. If you have been the victim of a dog bite, you can hold the owner liable for damages.
The Steps Your Lawyer Will Take If you were severely injured in an accident, then you will need to spend some time in the hospital. As you recover, you will need to start thinking about medical bills and lost wages. The first person you should speak to outside of your family is a personal injury attorney in Newport Beach. A personal injury attorney in Newport Beach will come to your bedside, take down your recollection of how the accident occurred, and discuss your legal options.
You may be contacted by the insurance company of the person responsible for the accident. If you receive such a call, you should refer them to your personal injury lawyer in Newport Beach. They are the ones who can best communicate and negotiate with them.
Personal injury attorneys are trained to represent the best interests of their clients. The first thing your personal injury lawyer in Newport Beach will determine is liability—that is, who is at fault for the accident. They will then investigate the accident further to determine the circumstances that led to it.
Your lawyer will also assess the value of your case. They will do so by reviewing your medical expenses, your prognosis for recovery, and the amount of money you have lost since admission to the hospital. The value of the case will also consider the pain and suffering you have had to endure. And if you have been permanently disabled, it will include the hit you have taken in your capacity to earn money.
The most effective personal injury attorneys know how to get fair and adequate compensation without going to trial. Your lawyer should have the skill, expertise, and experience to bring the law and the evidence they have collected to bear in negotiations with the liable party. This should result in compensation that will allow you to put your life back together.